This started as a blog about training together as a family, in part to inspire other women & families to get involved. As female participation in jiu jitsu has increased, as we have grown as athletes and as we learned that families training together aren’t such an anomaly, the blog has evolved. Jen gets personal with posts on ambition, challenges & achievements in BJJ, CrossFit & with nutrition, while Tom's posts are more educational, informative and analytical in regards to training. On occasion you may hear from the kids.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Two Wolves


TWO WOLVES

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, “My son, the battle is between two ‘wolves’ inside us all.
One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.
The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf wins?”
The old Cherokee replied, “The one you feed.”
I told this story to Hunter tonight to illustrate why we do not want him to spend too much time playing games on the computer. The games have no game over, they just keep going...there is always a new level etc... It is very easy for a seven year old to neglect things that are important while playing the games. I would rather him use his imagination with his toys or play outside with his basketball. I explained that we all have things in our lives that end up stealing our time. I told him that I have wasted more time in my life than I care to remember. It is time I could have spent training, working out or developing myself professionally. But REGRET only feeds my dark wolf. Everyday I try to feed the good wolf by putting off bad habits and making wise choices. It is never easy. I know the more I feed my good wolf, the better I will get at jiu jitsu and life.
Which wolf are you feeding?
Posted by Tom

1 comment:

  1. I think I need to tattoo this on my body somewhere. It's one of those things that you know, but you keep forgeting. Thanks for reminding me. I'll be sure to feed the correct wolf today.

    Take care,
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete