This started as a blog about training together as a family, in part to inspire other women & families to get involved. As female participation in jiu jitsu has increased, as we have grown as athletes and as we learned that families training together aren’t such an anomaly, the blog has evolved. Jen gets personal with posts on ambition, challenges & achievements in BJJ, CrossFit & with nutrition, while Tom's posts are more educational, informative and analytical in regards to training. On occasion you may hear from the kids.
Saturday, December 31, 2011
Looking Forward to Great Things
2012 is near. Resolutions are written and filed in a place where I will see them regularly. Now for the fun stuff - here is a glimpse of what I am looking forward to in 2012.
• I hope to compete in the Pan Ams. This is still not confirmed. I need to be sure I can finance the trip without screwing up my 2012 financial resolution.
• Competing in other BJJ and CrossFit tournaments, including the Heraean games on January 28th. Who knows, maybe 2012 is the year I start working towards the masters division of the CrossFit Games. I have four years to make the 45+ division, leaving much time to work on those skills. If nothing else I will continue to grow as I train.
• Watching the 2012 Olympics. This year will be the first that I will be interested in watching the Weightlifting division. And hopefully my inspiration, Dara Torres, will be swimming.
• Attending female open mats and seminars. There was great energy at the Michelle Nicolini seminar last November and the girls were talking about hosting more consistent female open mats.
• Watching RFLX Training Center flourish. Last August Marcelo Meleiro BJJ moved from our CrossFit facility to RFLX. Our new home continues to grow and expand. I cannot wait to see what 2012 has in store for our bjj family.
• Getting my new gi. My Atama Mundial number nine should be arriving any day now! After three years I finally invested in a good one!
• Fun experiences and celebrations with our family and friends. We are starting off with our very own 5k on the beach on New Years Day and a camping trip to follow within the next few weeks.
• Another Mud Run or similar challenge. I hope we will bring some new friends this year.
• Continuing to enjoy training with the family and watching my children grow, flourish and experience new things.
• Working with Tom to build our home training facility. The mats are upstairs, the weights are on the porch, the pull up bar is in place and we have identified good places to hang a climbing rope and throw some wall balls. Landscaping has never been our forte so it seems perfectly natural to use the big yard as a gym.
• Those unexpected little surprises that put a smile on my face. Like the Washington DC trip that Logan won for us last year. I have learned that you never know what tomorrow will bring. That is what makes life worth living.
What are you looking forward to?