This started as a blog about training together as a family, in part to inspire other women & families to get involved. As female participation in jiu jitsu has increased, as we have grown as athletes and as we learned that families training together aren’t such an anomaly, the blog has evolved. Jen gets personal with posts on ambition, challenges & achievements in BJJ, CrossFit & with nutrition, while Tom's posts are more educational, informative and analytical in regards to training. On occasion you may hear from the kids.

Monday, September 5, 2011

A Tool In My Parenting Toolkit - Jiu Jitsu



by Jen

"Prepare to attack," Hunter said. He was wearing his Iron Man mask and holding his supercharged Automatic Tommy 20 Airblaster gun. The Tommy can rapid fire up to 20 nerf-like darts in seconds. (It's actually kind of fun)

I should have known that he was up to no good when I heard him head upstairs towards Logan's room. It was 10:00 am on Labor Day. Logan was enjoying her last morning to sleep in until......"Hunter! Stop it! What are you doing?!"

Oh no, this is going to be a long day - let the sibling war begin.

In his defense he's an 8-year old boy with an exorbitant amount of energy. We spent the previous day working on the house so he didn't get much time to run, play and just be a kid. That pent up energy was going to drive us all crazy if we didn't act quickly.

I had an idea - "Hunter, do you want to roll?" We pulled out our mats and rolled for at least a half hour. Hunter was happy to catch me in a few arm bars and even Logan joined in. Looks like I salvaged the day with the help of bjj.

Jiu jitsu helped Logan and I earlier in the weekend. We were having normal mother/teenage daughter battles on Saturday morning. I'm surprised that we even made it to our 9:00 a.m. class. After warming up together with a few good armbars and triangles our problems were forgotten.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I feel so blessed to share this sport, hobby and passion with my family. I believe that every parent needs a tool like jiu jitsu in their parenting toolkit. Jiu jitsu may not be right for everyone, but I encourage every family to find a hobby that they can share to blow off a little steam and help bring them closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment