This started as a blog about training together as a family, in part to inspire other women & families to get involved. As female participation in jiu jitsu has increased, as we have grown as athletes and as we learned that families training together aren’t such an anomaly, the blog has evolved. Jen gets personal with posts on ambition, challenges & achievements in BJJ, CrossFit & with nutrition, while Tom's posts are more educational, informative and analytical in regards to training. On occasion you may hear from the kids.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

At least I still have my smile!

by Jen

My awards from Grappler's Quest? A little embarrassment, a lesson learned, four stitches and a tetanus shot. Currently I do not use a mouth guard when I roll, but after yesterday's wake up call I promise to start doing so.

I was pumped -waited all morning to fight and it was finally time for my first match. Logan was fighting on another mat so Tom, Marcelo and our team mates were with her, right where I wanted them to be. I had this, or so I thought.

I jumped guard and apparently hit my chin on my competitor's head. I felt my head slam on the mat when we came down, but didn't realize I hurt my chin. She was in my guard and I was trying to work the arm when the ref suddenly stopped the match because he saw blood. I felt my face, saw the blood on my hand and said, "Uh that would be me." Table workers and the ref ran over, told me to lay flat on the mat and gave me towels to compress the wound until the paramedics arrived.

"Is your head okay?" I asked my competitor. She shook her head yes and walked away with a perplexed look on her face. I tried looking down the mat to get Tom's attention, but he didn't see me. I was only down for a minute or two, but I was so embarrassed. I didn't want him to see me lying down and worry that it was something much worse. I kept giggling to myself and saying "only me, only me."

I ended the day at the local hospital getting four stitches and a tetanus shot. I cannot even begin to explain how bummed I am that I did not get to finish even one match. I didn't even last a minute. I had debated whether or not to even put out the money to fight, and now I am going to be spending more at the hospital. And of all tournaments - finally there were at least 5 to 6 girls in my division when there are usually only two or three.

Yes, this all sucks, but I am conscientiously trying to change my attitude. At least I still have my smile. My teeth were in jeopardy without a mouth guard, but thank goodness I still have them. Four stitches are under my chin and will be hardly noticeable once I can take the gigantic bandage off. But the teeth would have been a much bigger issue. Lesson learned - starting next class I am using the mouth guard.

Congratulations to all from Marcelo Meleiro BJJ who competed yesterday, Marcelo, Juan, Danny, Logan and Hunter! You guys make me proud!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Glad your teeth are ok. Do you have a concussion?
    Remember when you hit my head with the bumblebee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No concussion. I'm fine - just a bruised ego in addition to the stitches. Yes my dear sister, I had (have?) anger management issues - sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, that sucks! Definitely a bummer. Next time, I guess!

    I'm a little confused...why did you need to get a tetanus shot? I thought those were reserved for when you step on a nail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ashley, I was confused too. It may have been because I couldn't give the doctor an answer when he asked me the last time I had one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man...glad you're ok. Yeah...mouthguards are your friend. Glad you don't have to get any dental work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you would have kept fighting if they didn't stop you. Glad to hear that you are relatively okay!

    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jen!

    Totally forgot about tossing ideas around for a ladies grappling weekend until somebody at the gym said something that brought it to mind. I don't even remember where we left off. Is it still something you're thinking about working on? Thanks!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Megan! Yes, this is still something I'm interested in doing. I've been a little sidetracked lately. I'll bring it up to my instructor about it again.

    ReplyDelete