This started as a blog about training together as a family, in part to inspire other women & families to get involved. As female participation in jiu jitsu has increased, as we have grown as athletes and as we learned that families training together aren’t such an anomaly, the blog has evolved. Jen gets personal with posts on ambition, challenges & achievements in BJJ, CrossFit & with nutrition, while Tom's posts are more educational, informative and analytical in regards to training. On occasion you may hear from the kids.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Finally, the Right Sport for Me


Posted by Logan


When I was little, I had tried several different sports but I was never interested enough in any of them to keep doing them. I had tried dance, gymnastics, soccer, ice skating, and once considered joining the swim team. When my dad found a bjj school close by and asked me to try, I didn’t want to do it. Martial arts wasn’t one of the sports I thought I’d be interested in. Somehow he convinced me to try the class.

My first class was the day before Christmas Eve in 2008. That was when I met my instructor, Marcelo Meleiro, for the first time. I didn’t know then that he wouldn’t just be my instructor, but a good friend to me and the rest of my family. I remember that I was nervous because I knew little of what to expect from the class; I hardly knew anything about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at all. But at the end of the class, I decided I liked it so I came back the next week, the week after that, and so on. The more I came to class, the more I ended up liking BJJ. Soon I was training for and going to tournaments. I was having fun and making friends. None of this would have happened, though, if my dad never convinced me to try the class.

There are a lot of things that I like about BJJ but one of the things that I like the most is that at our school, Nova Uniao South Florida, we are taught that we are a team and that we are there to learn and do our best, not to be the best and tap everyone out. If it weren’t for this, I probably wouldn’t have stuck with BJJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment