This started as a blog about training together as a family, in part to inspire other women & families to get involved. As female participation in jiu jitsu has increased, as we have grown as athletes and as we learned that families training together aren’t such an anomaly, the blog has evolved. Jen gets personal with posts on ambition, challenges & achievements in BJJ, CrossFit & with nutrition, while Tom's posts are more educational, informative and analytical in regards to training. On occasion you may hear from the kids.

Monday, November 14, 2011

The BJJ Lifestyle




I just got back the blood results from my physical and got a clean bill of health. I believe that training jiu jitsu with my family is one of the main reasons my Doctor calls me a boring patient. I was a little concerned going into the physical, I have gained about 10 pounds since last year and my eating habits suck. I will eat anything, pizza, burgers, fries, chips, subs. When I cut back on diet coke a few months ago my weight instantly shot up. Surprisingly, my cholesterol levels are better than last years physical. A few years ago the doctor said that my HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol) was too low. When I started training BJJ my levels increased and I was normal. This year they are even better. I can't contribute the good physical to genetics, my Dad had a heart attack when he was just a few years older than me. I average 3 classes a week and the only outside activity other than BJJ is a short weight lifting workout on Sundays. No drinking, no smoking and no drugs also helps. I rarely even take a Tylenol. Jen gets mad at me when I refuse to take it even thought I am complaining of aches and pains from rolling. This year I intend to get the diet in check and add some supplementary training and stretching. At 44 I am proud to be able to roll with guys 20 years younger than me and be able to hold my own, but I am most thankful that I am healthy. I believe I owe that to Jiu Jitsu and our coach Marcelo.




Posted by Tom

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear! Keep up the good work. Blogs like yours have encouraged me to begin one of my own: http://betterwaybjj.blogspot.com/ .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Glad to hear it. Keep training hard!

    ReplyDelete