This started as a blog about training together as a family, in part to inspire other women & families to get involved. As female participation in jiu jitsu has increased, as we have grown as athletes and as we learned that families training together aren’t such an anomaly, the blog has evolved. Jen gets personal with posts on ambition, challenges & achievements in BJJ, CrossFit & with nutrition, while Tom's posts are more educational, informative and analytical in regards to training. On occasion you may hear from the kids.

Friday, June 17, 2011

FEAR: False Expectations Appearing Real

by Jen


I scaled the wall today! The big wall! I told myself that I couldn't do it, but I did! Encouraged by my CrossFit coach, Juan, and morning classmates, I did it! Wow that felt good.

Earlier this week I attended a conference and had the benefit of listening to motivational speaker and Wall Street vet, Carla Harris . She shared a few of "Carla's Pearls" with us, her personal and simple strategies for success. The pearls included a reminder that one of the biggest impediments to our success is our fear of failure. She also said that "failure always brings you a gift and that gift is called experience."

With success and inspirational words still fresh on my mind, it is time to start working on those fears. In BJJ the fears are nothing new - fear of passing guard, fear of not being able to escape from the bottom of half guard, fear of opening up my game and fear of fighting heavier in tournaments.

What about your fears? What is impeding your success?

"Fear has no place in your success equation." Carla Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment