This started as a blog about training together as a family, in part to inspire other women & families to get involved. As female participation in jiu jitsu has increased, as we have grown as athletes and as we learned that families training together aren’t such an anomaly, the blog has evolved. Jen gets personal with posts on ambition, challenges & achievements in BJJ, CrossFit & with nutrition, while Tom's posts are more educational, informative and analytical in regards to training. On occasion you may hear from the kids.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Games, Competition and Catching Up!

by Jen

It’s been a while since I’ve posted so this is a little long. Busy, busy times at work and at home -all good though.

I competed in the 1st annual Heraean games over the weekend, an all female CrossFit competition. What an amazing, amazing group of female competitors! One of the benefits of being forty was the ability to compete in the Athena, or 40+, division. This meant lighter weight and fewer competitors. (wphew!) Here's a recap-


The Heraean Games from Jarret Streiner on Vimeo.


One of the main event sponsors and organizers was Sarah and her company Fashletics. Fashletics sells handmade jewelry inspired by a passion for fitness and competition. I asked Sarah to consider making a piece for bjj and she asked for ideas on designs. Do you have any? Logan and I have a couple but were curious to hear yours.

One of my fellow Athena’s was Lorraine, who by the way PR’d her deadlift that day (Congrats Lorraine!!). Lorraine was featured as a Fashlete of the Month on Fashletics blog last December. Her entire family is active including her children who train bjj with our kids.

The games helped me get my competition fix since I could not be at the Pan Ams. Our teammate, Adam, and Coach, Marcelo, made the trip to California. Congratulations to Adam who took 3rd in his division! Also congratulations to Victoria Trueb for taking 1st in the blue belt middle division. She was one of the tough competitors that I faced at the Miami Open.

Other happenings since our last post, congratulations to Sanya, one of our other female students, for earning her blue belt! Juan, the owner of our CrossFit and BJJ facility, joined us back on the mats last night after a more than a one year hiatus. Nice to have him back!

I’ve been spending more time rolling with some of the heavier and more experienced guys, which is helping me with my goal to better fight heavier opponents. I still have a long way to go. I am also trying to open up my game more – it is so easy to rely on your old habits.

Lastly, the post below is a survey to gauge the interest in a female open mat for girls. Check it out and pass it to anyone in the Florida area who might be interested – whether they currently train or not.

5 comments:

  1. The Heraean Games sound awesome! Although I still find it tough to disassociate Hera from her "evil stepmother" role in Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Slidey - there was a girl wearing socks that said evil. - The games were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Jen! Looks pretty freaking tough ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Liane - I loved every minute of it. By the looks of your training regimine, I'm sure it would have been nothing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! No way, lactic acid and I don't mix very well together ;P

    ReplyDelete