This started as a blog about training together as a family, in part to inspire other women & families to get involved. As female participation in jiu jitsu has increased, as we have grown as athletes and as we learned that families training together aren’t such an anomaly, the blog has evolved. Jen gets personal with posts on ambition, challenges & achievements in BJJ, CrossFit & with nutrition, while Tom's posts are more educational, informative and analytical in regards to training. On occasion you may hear from the kids.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Resolution Time

by Jen

Reviewing my 2010 resolutions, I realize I haven't done too shabby. Fortunately, my work in the nonprofit sector has me well versed in using the S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely) goal method, which translates well for personal goals.


Reflecting on ideas for 2011 resolutions I’ve been thinking about areas for improvement in the different parts of my life, including training.

My progress has stalled lately and I’ve become more and more frustrated. I had my “Oprah AHA” moment when I realized that my confidence has been lost since the Miami Open. Since then, I don’t feel my performance in class has been up to par. And, although I want to compete in NAGA in February, I’m scared to death and subconsciously looking for excuses not to compete.

In my opinion, I need to continue my work on 1) passing guard, 2)sweeping and 3) takedowns. I also have a terrible memory and can’t remember all of the new moves we learn in class. So my fourth goal will involve figuring out a way to improve on this. Any ideas, please share. In the meantime, I'll get started developing these goals using the S.M.A.R.T. strategy.

One step towards progress, in the coming year Tom and I are committed to supplement our training by practicing at home. We rearranged our room to create a larger space, making it easier to pull out our mats. This will also be beneficial for the kids – especially Hunter who has recently become more assertive in his training. Only wish I had a whole barn to train in like Allie! Maybe I'll ask Santa.

3 comments:

  1. Or come train with me!! I know, I know...it's kind of a far drive. But my barn door is always open. Wait...that came out wrong. lol!

    I have a lot of the same goals as you. If you decide to compete in Feb, hopefully I will see you there!! I really want to force myself to get out there and just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember every new position, submission sweep ect takes a lot of practice before you will be able to make it work. My suggestion, when your instructor is showing you something new focus your attention on his grips and make sure you at least get that part of the move right. If you have the right grips you will have about 70% of the position. The next time he shows the move you can refine the other details you missed the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ A.D., maybe Logan & I need to schedule a road trip to train with you. I hope I see you in Feb - I'll do it if you do it LOL!

    @BJJ Judo - thanks for the tip. I'm going to start trying this tonight.

    ReplyDelete