This started as a blog about training together as a family, in part to inspire other women & families to get involved. As female participation in jiu jitsu has increased, as we have grown as athletes and as we learned that families training together aren’t such an anomaly, the blog has evolved. Jen gets personal with posts on ambition, challenges & achievements in BJJ, CrossFit & with nutrition, while Tom's posts are more educational, informative and analytical in regards to training. On occasion you may hear from the kids.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I'm Back

By Jen

For the second year in a row I was sick during the long Thanksgiving weekend. Logan came down with it Thanksgiving Day. I was fine until shortly after I battled “Linda – and her 3 bars of death” at CrossFit on Friday morning. (Loved Linda, by the way!)

I started feeling weaker and more achy throughout the day, but kept attributing it to Linda. I cursed Linda and Juan several times because of this. I was asleep by 6:00 pm. It wasn’t until I woke up with my throat on fire on Saturday morning that I decided it was time for Logan and me to head to the doctor. Sure enough, strep throat.

By Monday we were well enough, and on antibiotics long enough, to return to school and work. We were happy to return to the land of the living. She skipped her BJJ class and I skipped CrossFit, knowing our bodies still needed some rest. I decided to go to BJJ to practice techniques, but I would withhold from rolling.

I was okay with my decision until we pulled into the parking lot and I saw all of the CrossFitters wearily running as part of the daily WOD. I so wanted to be one of them! I knew my body wasn’t up to this yet, but I didn’t care. My husband warns me that this is a sign of my CF/BJJ addiction.

I handled the BJJ warm up better than expected. I thought the burpees and running would do me in, but I felt great. We learned a few chokes that I practiced with our other female student, Sanya.

It was so hard to sit on the sidelines while everyone rolled. I absolutely hate that! But I knew it was the right thing to do. And after all, I need to set an example for my overachieving children. (it scares me when I see some of my workaholic habits in them) I just don’t understand why doing the right thing is always so hard.

Happy to say that today I feel 100% better and ready for CF and BJJ! As hard as it was to sit most of Monday out, I know that was a huge factor in my readiness for tonight! Watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment